N O P A R T O F I T

N O   P A R T   O F   I T
Far more important than baking bread is the urge to take dough -beating to the extreme - Otto Muehl

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Interview Series #19: Steven Intermill

The NO PART OF IT Interview series was a strain of questions sent to a number of different people between February and March 2019. Each entry was scheduled chronologically to be thrust upon the world on a monthly basis since then. Each individual is introduced informally as if they were being discussed at a bar.   



Steven, also known as Witchbeam, was one half of a long-standing occult-driven synth duo called Telecult Powers, whom I've seen a couple times at Chicago's Neon Marshmellow fests.  I've also seen Steven collaborate with Aaron Dilloway in Cleveland to great effect.  I think he is from Sweden.  I'm not sure what happened sequentially, but I had the impression that he lived in New York, and then (returned?) to Cleveland, where he founded a museum on the Christmas Story, and now a museum dedicated to witchcraft, called The Buckland Museum.   Steven also hipped me to Merrill Womach!   Thanks Steven! 
1.  What kinds of things have you been getting into lately?

Just what's in front of me right now. Operating the Buckland Museum of Witchcraft & Magick takes up all of my time, so essentially just reading and studying things that make a better experience for my guests.


2.  What you do, do you do it as an artist, or is it a hobby?  If you don't like that question,

I don't know! There's not a lot of separation. 

3.  How would you describe what you do?
I don't, I never have, no artist statement. Just wake up every day and pursue what ever strikes my fancy. 

4.  How would you describe your creative progression over the years, in a brief synopsis?
When I turned 30 my eyes opened to the unique opportunities we have as living creatures. I spent the years before that just blank. Not sure what happened, but something did that year. I was filling my head with all sorts of information that finally boiled over into experimental music, illustration, painting. I was into it all before that, but it seemed to wait until my 30s before my ideas started to be more fleshed out.


5.  How would you describe your philosophy?

I had some risks I had to take a few years ago so I took the motto of "fortune favors the bold." Pretty self explanatory, let's see if it pans out.

6.  Do you believe in psychics, magic, ghosts, or gods?  If no, then maybe you'll share your favorite conspiracy theory (whether you believe it or not).
Yes, I believe in all of it, too many extraordinary experiences that can't just be brushed away. Lon Milo Duquette says that it's all in your head, you just have no idea how big your head is. Maybe that's it? As far as conspiracy goes - I do believe there is an attempt to overload our brains with a constant barrage of confusion.


7.  What would you say was your most definitive experience?

Still waiting for it!

8.  Do you have any side projects that I am not aware of? If not, what is something you'd like people to know about you, that you don't think anyone would ever ask?
No, you probably know about all of it.

9.  Would you care to name any theoretical "desert island" records, or at least releases that you think are approaching your concept of "perfect"?  
Ah, now you're going to make me choose between Fun House by The Stooges or Jimi Hendrix's Axis Bold Is Love? Not fair to either!

10.  What is the earliest childhood memory you can (or are willing to) recall?
Probably the most defined would be meeting my friend George when I was a kid, Easter 1976. Orange stuffed duck in my basket, I picked him up and spouted "Hey! George! What are you doing here?" My parents were under the assumption we were long standing friends. I remember that like it was yesterday.

11.  Are you able to appreciate other peoples' creative work regardless of their personal shortcomings or inherent flaws?  To what extent?
Topical question - I'm not going to go out and champion Michael Jackson or R. Kelly because I've never really been interested in their work in the first place. I guess it would be a case by case basis, good art probably only exists because of flaws in character. The cracks are what let the light in. 


12.  Do you have any heroes or heroines?  Who are they?  Feel free to add anything that makes them stand out.

My wife Jillian is a hero, she has the Herculean task of dealing with me day to day. I always in awe of her patience and and work ethic. Helena Blavatsky for having an unrelenting drive.  All the early suffragettes. Raymond Buckland for having an uncompromising understanding of the first amendment.


13.  What would you like to have on your epitaph?  Or what is your favorite quote? 

No epitaph, sky burial all the way. Leave me for the vultures - maybe that line from the Coil song Amethyst Deceivers - "Pay your respects to the vultures / For they are your future."

No comments: