N O P A R T O F I T

N O   P A R T   O F   I T
Far more important than baking bread is the urge to take dough -beating to the extreme - Otto Muehl

Friday, November 13, 2020

Interview Series #21: Hailey Magdeleno

The NO PART OF IT Interview series was a strain of questions sent to a number of different people between February and March 2019. Each entry was scheduled chronologically to be thrust upon the world on a monthly basis since then. Each individual is introduced informally as if they were being discussed at a bar.   


 I've never met Hailey, but I've been in touch with her for a while.  I think my first introduction to her was seeing a video of a Ritual Chair performance, shortly after some boy was trying to out her as a "fake noise artist" of some sort (her friends stuck up for her and the post was removed, apparently).  With my curiosity piqued, I was not prepared for what I saw.  First, her voice was distinctively agonized and penetrating; not the type of thing one could rehearse, and certainly not the go-hard gesturing of a person who was half-hearted about it. 

 Second, it rapidly occurred to me that this was not a regular power electronics performance.  It seemed to me that Hailey briefly made gestures to seduce the small audience of entirely men, and then started screaming about being sexualized.  The notion of being sexualized without permission was taken and turned around on the audience.  Madgeleno started cutting off her dress with a pair of scissors, crying and wailing, and asking thoughtful questions in a blunt but thought-provoking way about the nature of sexism, but more importantly, I as a viewer of youtube felt somewhat assaulted, and that is not something I'd ever experienced before, yet many people deal with similar every day.   Hailey's "Licking Wounds" project goes into detail with some of her experiences related to trauma, and to me effectively inverts the common nature of power electronics as a genre without being novel or naval-gazing.  I am very much interested in what her projects develop into as she evolves.  


1.  What kinds of things have you been getting into lately?
1. I've been getting into gothic lolita fashion again. Been doing hobby electronics (Raspberry Pi and FPGA), listening to dark ambient, and sewing. I'm mostly trying to distract myself with too many hobbies.

 2.  What you do, do you do it as an artist, or is it a hobby?  If you don't like that question, what do you have to say about true art (vs. "entertainment")?  
2. I do it because I believe it's art, it's fun, and people care. Makes myself think harder about my own feelings. 

3.  How would you describe what you do?
3. Ritual Chair is painful, yet rewarding. Sometimes it feels like I'm picking at scabs, but most of the time it causes a lot of self-realization. I think I'm better equipped for day to day life thanks to my project.

 4.  How would you describe your creative progression over the years, in a brief synopsis?
4. I think I've always been blessed with creativity and supportive parents, it stems from whatever holds my interest for longer than two seconds. I want to be knowledgeable in all aspects of anything I aspire to contribute to.

5.  How would you describe your philosophy?
5. My philosophy stems from a mixture of the occult and mysticism. I appreciate the idea of something after death. I believe in a God, and I believe in doing good when it is possible. 

 6.  Do you believe in psychics, magic, ghosts, or gods?  If no, then maybe you'll share your favorite conspiracy theory (whether you believe it or not).  
6. I believe in ghosts and God, as well as a multitude of spirits. I also like hearing people's skepticism against it all. Favorite conspiracies are about mass shootings. I always wonder about the fuller picture. 

7.  What would you say was your most definitive experience?
7. (I'm unsure what this question is asking) I feel really blessed to have so many crazy experiences now in my life, most stemming from my project. Getting to travel, meet, and talk to many people I find inspirational and amazing artists has always been a dream of mine. 

 8.  Do you have any side projects that I am not aware of? If not, what is something you'd like people to know about you, that you don't think anyone would ever ask?
8. I have a few side projects, Licking Wounds (with Bonemagic), Ritual Goat (with Loop Goat), Salted Circle (with Endometrium Cuntplow and Verge Bliss),  and Cult of Mary (I use exclusively religious tapes as samples). I think it's important for me to practice and play with artists of different noise styles, everyone approaches their gear differently.

 9.  Would you care to name any theoretical "desert island" records, or at least releases that you think are approaching your concept of "perfect"?  
9. I would bring along with me any Sigillum S album, Brian Eno's Textures, Silent Hill 2 OST, and The Wake singles. There's many more I'm forgetting. I tend to switch out what I am listening to monthly, but I find most dark ambient to be blissful.

10.  What is the earliest childhood memory you can (or are willing to) recall?  
10. Hiding my mother's keys at around 2 to prevent her from going to work. I hid them underneath a dinning room chair. I don't know if it actually happened, I get mixed answers from my mom whether or not it is real or a dream. Other one I know is real, is going to the grocery store for Fruity Pebbles, and proceeding to eat them in this odd cone shaped Tupperware container my mom had. I was also around 2 at the time. 

11.  Are you able to appreciate other peoples' creative work regardless of their personal shortcomings or inherent flaws?  To what extent? 
11. I think it is easy to separate the art from the artist with certain things, but it's in monetary support and praise where I draw the line. I refuse to support any artist who has harmed another in a devastating way. I understand people can repent, but that is between them and their choice of a god. Maybe their god is their egos, and that is why they have so many problems with responsibility.

 12.  Do you have any heroes or heroines?  Who are they?  Feel free to add anything that makes them stand out. 
12. Peter and Jhon of Coil, Goya (the painter), Alexander McQueen, Aubrey Beardsley, and Sylvia Plath. I find them to be most inspiring. In my opinion, they prove that art is always a sacrifice, and sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself. People need to understand your message, whether they care to at that moment or not. Art is everlasting. All of their work has deeply moved me.

13.  What would you like to have on your epitaph?  Or what is your favorite quote?  
13. I don't really have a great quote off hand, but I think it is always important to care. Care about something, someone, and yourself. If you can't do any of that, you're lost.

photo: Sydney Lira


No comments: